Some useful short links
|How to Apply||https://fytgs.hkust.edu.hk/apply|
Applicants seeking admission to a research degree program should satisfy the following minimum entrance requirements and demonstrate their English ability to undertake the research
Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- Obtained a bachelor's degree with at least second upper class honors, GPA 3.0 or above from a recognized institution, or an approved equivalent qualification, in a relevant Science or Engineering; or
- Obtained a taught master’s degree, or equivalent qualification, in a relevant Science or Engineering discipline from a recognized institution.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Obtained a master's degree, or equivalent qualification, in a relevant Science or Engineering discipline from a recognized institution;
- In exceptional circumstances, obtained a bachelor’s degree with a proven record of outstanding performance, for example a first class honors, GPA 3.2 or above, degree from a recognized institution, may be admitted to the program without a master's degree. These students may be required to take additional credits to fulfill the program requirements.
Fulfill the English Language requirements with one of the following proficiency attainments:
|Proficiency Test||Minimum Scores|
|IELTS 2018-19||Overall score: 6.0 and
All sub-scores: 5.5
|IELTS 2019-20||Overall score: 6.5 and
All sub-scores: 5.5
- If your first language is not English, and your bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification was not awarded by an institution where the medium of instruction was English, you will need to fulfill these English Language requirements.
Submitting an Application
Applicants should submit their applications through the Online Admissions System before Deadline. Applications fee should be pay by VISA or MasterCard. For further details about postgraduate admissions, please visit the Office of Postgraduate Studies website.
You should scan and upload documents which will help program offices consider your application, e.g. bachelor’s/master’s transcripts and certificates, TOEFL/IELTS score reports, etc., to the Online Admissions System before submitting your application.
Don't worry if you have not yet obtained the required test results e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT or GRE in the application stage. Provide in the online application a date by which such results are expected to be available. When the scores become available, fill them in through the Online Admissions System and upload the score reports.
Remember that you will need to send official documents to substantiate your qualifications/ exam results after accepting an admission offer.
All documents submitted to the University will be used to substantiate your qualifications in confirming the admission offer. Any misrepresentation or forged items found will lead to the disqualification of your application and the withdrawal of your offer. Under the Crimes Ordinance (Cap 200) in Hong Kong, forgery is an offense and the offender is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment.
You are required to nominate 2-5 referees to support your application. Upon your application submission, the referees will be invited by email to complete a reference report online. Referees may attach additional reference letters to the online report if they wish to.
Interviews / Phone Interviews
Face/Phone/Skype Interviews are a required part of the admissions process. Interview details will be sent to shortlisted candidates.
Offer Acceptance and Program Registration Procedures
Applicants can log on to the Online Admissions System to check the status of their applications. In addition, applicants should look out for e-mail notifications sent from the University. Upon receipt of an offer, applicants should follow the steps advised by the office of Postgraduate Studies to accept the offer.