Prof. Minhua SHAO
Head and Chair Professor
Welcome to the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE) at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
Our department is home to some of the brightest and most talented students, faculty, and staff from around the world. Together, we are committed to advancing the frontiers of knowledge in Chemical and Biological Engineering and developing innovative solutions to the world's most pressing challenges.
At the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, we provide our students with a world-class education that prepares them for successful careers in academia, industry, and beyond. Our faculty members are leaders in their respective fields, including Advanced Materials, Bioengineering, Data Science and Process Engineering, and Energy and Environment. We offer exciting undergraduate programs, including Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, and Sustainable Energy Engineering. Additionally, we offer two taught postgraduate programs, Chemical and Energy Engineering (CEE), and Biomolecular Engineering and Health Informatics (BEHI).
We are proud to have celebrated our department's 30th anniversary in 2023. It is an exciting time to be a part of the CBE family, and we are thrilled to work with all of our students to help them achieve their academic and professional goals.
We hope you find our website informative and engaging, and we welcome you to contact our department if you would like more information. Thank you for your interest in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at HKUST.
Head and Chair Professor
The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, HKUST
- To provide a high-quality academic base, which when supplemented with professional training and relevant experience, will enable our graduates to contribute to the technological and socio-economic development of Hong Kong and its region; and
- To engage and excel in research that is academically challenging and has high potential impact on innovative technology.
- To be a leading department with significant international impact and strong local commitment
- To provide a holistic learning experience to our students so that they will graduate with a good balance of engineering knowledge and professional skills, a desire to pursue lifelong learning, and a commitment to solving societal problems; and
- To enhance the diversity and quality of our intakes on our way to becoming the department of choice for those who wish to pursue a chemical engineering education in the region.
- To strengthen the research capability of postgraduate students so that the department will be recognized internationally as a leading department in research; and
- To equip our postgraduate students with the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes so that they can pursue successful careers in high-tech fields.
RESEARCH AND RESEARCH SUPPORT
- To strengthen the infrastructure, in particular laboratory space and equipment, to support existing and emerging research activities; and
- To identify and encourage collaborative research opportunities both within and outside the university.
FACULTY RECRUITMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
- To recruit and retain faculty of international standing with the passion and the track record in education and research; and
- To provide the requisite support and reward structure for faculty members to grow, develop, and excel.
- To establish a network of academic and industrial contacts, with special emphasis on building relationships in the Chinese mainland; and
- To strengthen our relationship with alumni and solicit their help in identifying internship opportunities for our students and in serving as their mentors.