Prof. I-Ming HSING
Head and Professor
Welcome to the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE) at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
We are proud to announce the integration of the Division of Biomedical Engineering and Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering under the name of CBE. With this restructure, our department continues its trajectory of growth and achievement, upholding a strong tradition of research and teaching. We’re particularly optimistic with the university’s strategic development into the fast-growing field of bioengineering and health-related engineering and technologies..
What does this new department mean? It means a feast of fresh opportunities, including new interdisciplinary undergraduate bioengineering programs that will complement our current Bachelor of Engineering programs in Chemical Engineering, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. Our postgraduate programs will also be expanded to meet the growing demands of the market by creating cross-research programs in bioengineering..
It’s an exciting time to be part of the CBE family. We look forward to working with all our students, helping them to be the best they can be and find success, both academically and in industry. .
We hope you find this website interesting and informative, and please don’t hesitate to contact the department if you’d like more information. Thank you..
Head and Professor
The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, HKUST
- To provide a high-quality academic base, which when supplemented with professional training and relevant experience, will enable our graduates to contribute to the technological and socio-economic development of Hong Kong and its region; and
- To engage and excel in research that is academically challenging and has high potential impact on innovative technology.
- To be a leading department with significant international impact and strong local commitment
- To provide a holistic learning experience to our students so that they will graduate with a good balance of engineering knowledge and professional skills, a desire to pursue lifelong learning, and a commitment to solving societal problems; and
- To enhance the diversity and quality of our intakes on our way to becoming the department of choice for those who wish to pursue a chemical engineering education in the region.
- To strengthen the research capability of postgraduate students so that the department will be recognized internationally as a leading department in research; and
- To equip our postgraduate students with the necessary knowledge, skills, and attitudes so that they can pursue successful careers in high-tech fields.
RESEARCH AND RESEARCH SUPPORT
- To strengthen the infrastructure, in particular laboratory space and equipment, to support existing and emerging research activities; and
- To identify and encourage collaborative research opportunities both within and outside the university.
FACULTY RECRUITMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
- To recruit and retain faculty of international standing with the passion and the track record in education and research; and
- To provide the requisite support and reward structure for faculty members to grow, develop, and excel.
- To establish a network of academic and industrial contacts, with special emphasis on building relationships in the Chinese mainland; and
- To strengthen our relationship with alumni and solicit their help in identifying internship opportunities for our students and in serving as their mentors.